Facts about Manhattan
Manhattan is located in New York County, New York.
- Population (approx.): 1,488,000
- Geo coordinates: 40.7831°N, 73.9712°W
- Postcodes: 10001, 10004, 10103, 10281
Things to Do and See Around Town
- Times Square – one of the most recognizable places in the world! Famous for its New Years celebrations.
- The Beresford (near West 81st Street and Central Park West) is a luxury, 23-floor “pre-war” apartment building.
- Rose Center for Earth and Space (near Central Park West and West 81st Street): Part of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
- Hayden Planetarium (near Central Park West and West 81st Street)
- American Museum of Natural History (near Columbus Avenue and West 79th Street) in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, is one of the largest museums in the world. Located in Theodore Roosevelt Park across the street from Central Park.
- The Tempest (near 79th Street Transverse Road and West Drive) is an outdoor bronze sculpture depicting Prospero and Miranda from William Shakespeare’s The Tempest.
- Central Park (near 86th Street Transverse Road and West Drive) is an urban park located between the Upper West Side and Upper East Side.
Getting Around Town
- John F. Kennedy International Airport
- Newark Liberty International Airport
- LaGuardia Airport
- Teterboro Airport
- Linden Airport
- 81st Street–Museum of Natural History (near Central Park West and 79th Street Transverse Road) is a local station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway.
- 86th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line) (near 86th Street Transverse Road and Central Park West) is a local station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at Central Park West and 86th Street on the Upper West Side.
- Hell’s Kitchen is 1 mile to the south-west.
- East Harlem is 1 mile to the north-east.
- Guttenberg is 1 mile to the west.
- Morningside Heights is 1 mile to the north.
- Harlem is 2 miles to the north-east.
- West New York is 2 miles to the west.
- Astoria is 2 miles to the east.
- Yonkers is 10 miles to the north.
- Queens is 13 miles to the south-east.
- The Bronx is 8 miles to the north-east.
- Staten Island is 17 miles to the south-west.
- Brooklyn is 10 miles to the south.
FDNY Stations Serving Manhattan
If you happen to have a spot of trouble, for example if your fire sprinklers went off because of a fire in a warehouse, you’ll be getting a visit from the FDNY. There are several stations around Manhattan such as:
- FDNY Engine 80/Ladder 23 which is on 503 West 139th Street.
- FDNY Engine 74 which is on 120 West 83rd Street, New York.
- FDNY Ladder 25/Division 3/Collapse Rescue 1 which is on 205 West 77th Street.
- FDNY Engine 22/Ladder 13/Battalion 10 which is on 159 East 85th Street.
- FDNY Battalion 11 Engine 76 & Ladder 22 which is on 145 West 100th Street.
- FDNY Engine 44 which is on 221 East 75th Street.
- FDNY Engine 39/Ladder 16 which is on 157 East 67th Street.
- FDNY Engine 23 which is on 215 West 58th Street.
Schools & Points of Interest
With a strong education system to serve the youth of New York, there are many schools in and around Manhattan.
- Hunter College which is on 695 Park Avenue.
- The Rockefeller University which is on 1230 York Avenue.
- Marymount Manhattan College which is on 221 East 71st Street.
- The City College of New York which is on 160 Convent Avenue.
- Berkeley College Midtown NYC Campus which is on 3 East 43rd Street.
- Columbia Law School which is on 435 West 116th Street.
If it’s some culture you’re after, check out some of these museums around town:
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art which is on 1000 5th Avenue.
- The Morgan Library & Museum which is on 225 Madison Avenue.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Times Square which is on 234 West 42nd Street.
- New York Transit Museum Gallery Annex & Store which is on 89 East 42nd Street.
- Astro Gallery of Gems, Minerals and Fossils which is on 417 5th Avenue.
- The Vilcek Foundation which is on 21 East 70th Street.
- Bernard Museum which is on 1 East 65th Street.
Parks are a great way to take the family out for some inexpensive fun.
- Central Park.
- Riverside Park.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms State Park which is on 1 FDR Four Freedoms Park.
- General Grant National Memorial which is on W 122nd St & Riverside Dr.
- Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza which is on 245 East 47th Street.
- Marcus Garvey Park which is on 6316, Mount Morris Park West.
- Madison Square Park which is on 11 Madison Avenue.
- Randall’s Island Park which is on 20 Randalls Island Park.
- Chelsea Park which is on West 27th Street &, 9th Avenue.
Image by chensiyuan, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=25610236