Electrical fires can be extremely dangerous. There are several ways to protect yourself from this type of fire. Electrical fires are caused by overloaded circuits, faulty wiring, lamps, space heaters, and almost any other electrical device. The best way to protect yourself is to focus on prevention.

It’s important to remember that attempting to extinguish an electrical fire with water will probably worsen matters. Water conducts electricity, and dumping it near a power source could cause a dangerous electrical shock.

Overloaded circuits

Overloaded circuits are a leading cause of building fires. Thankfully, many of them are preventable. One way to prevent a fire caused by an overloaded circuit is to use an automatic circuit breaker to shut off electrical power.

There are several signs of an overloaded circuit:

  • One of the signs is a circuit breaker that frequently trips; circuit breakers trip when the circuit’s energy capacity exceeds its limit.
  • Another sign of an overloaded circuit is discolored or warm wall plates or sizzling receptacles on your circuit breaker.
  • Lastly, if you experience a mild shock when touching an appliance on your property, you may have an overloaded circuit.

If you’ve witnessed any of the previously mentioned signs on your property, immediately schedule a consultation with an electrician.

Faulty wiring

Faulty wiring is one of the top causes of house fires. It’s also one of the most preventable types of fire. If you haven’t, hire a professional to check your house’s wiring and ensure everything works properly and safely.

The best way to detect faulty wiring is to have a professional conduct a routine check of all electrical cables. Check for signs of excessive heat or dripping sounds coming from electrical devices. Additionally, make sure that all smoke detectors are working.

Lighting

Ensure all your light fixtures have light bulbs that do not exceed the manufacturer’s specified wattage limit. If you notice flickering lights, have that addressed by maintenance.

Space heaters

Space heaters are one of the leading causes of fires, accounting for over one-third of all blazes. These devices are more prone to causing a fire than most appliances, and they’re particularly dangerous during colder months. Space heaters can overheat quickly, so it’s essential to keep them at least three feet away from flammable materials and keep the cord out of the way.

Space heaters can cause a fire if combined with multiple appliances or extension cords. When using a space heater, it is critical to ensure that all wires connected to it are not frayed and that there is no dust buildup on or around it. It’s also important to never leave a space heater unattended.

Water

Usually, the cause of an electrical fire is due to an overload in the circuit. In some cases, water exposure to the circuit can cause a circuit to overload and overheat.

If you have an electrical fire, you should remember not to use water to put out the flames. Water conducts electricity, which can result in deadly electrocution. Instead, use class c rated fire extinguisher.

Contact us with any questions you have

Don’t forget, fire extinguisher installation is required for every commercial building in New York City, and the FDNY can issue a fine of up to $1,000 if your building violates a requirement. At Allstate Sprinkler, our team of experienced professionals can install fire extinguishers per NYC’s regulations and help you avoid costly fines. Call us today for a free estimate.

About Allstate Sprinkler

Our family business has developed from a “mom and pop” company into a highly regarded fire protection contractor servicing the New York City Metropolitan area. Our commitment is to assist you with all of your commercial and residential fire protection needs. We have built a reputation on the sound principle of providing professional service and high-quality products to all our customers. Our services include but are not limited to the following: complete installations and alterations of fire sprinkler and standpipe systems, prompt correction of all fire department violations, five-year hydrostatic pressure tests, emergency service, and repairs, fire pump testing and installations, fire extinguisher sales, and service, and all fire safety products and equipment.

Allstate Sprinkler Corp. is a licensed Master Fire sprinkler contractor with the New York City building department. Providing our customers with cost-effective, professional, and reliable service is our priority. We hope that you will enjoy our website and become a part of our family customer base.