Protecting property in Manhattan during the case of a fire is one of the top priorities for both the owner and FDNY. The 5 year standpipe test is just one way the FDNY can ensure that all standpipe and sprinkler systems in Manhattan stay up-to-date. Nothing can be as costly as a fire. Just the smoke from a fire can cause damage to textiles and other goods. In addition, it can cause the most terrible structural damage. At Allstate Sprinkler Corp., we can assist you in your efforts to comply with the FDNY 5 year test.
5 Year Standpipe Test in Manhattan
Having a fire sprinkler and standpipe system for your home or business in Manhattan is the best way to protect your property from the case of a fire. To ensure the sprinkler system is in top shape during any case of an emergency, it is necessary to have your sprinkler system checked regularly. At Allstate Sprinkler Corp, our mission is to build a distinguished and financially strong organization whose high standard of excellence is embraced by employees, clients, and the community we serve.
Guide For Checking Sprinkler System
- Inspect the valves of the system once a month. Make sure they’re in the open position and easily accessible.
- Tighten any loose connections.
- Check all pipes for signs of leaks or corrosion.
- Check the air and water gauges to ensure the correct pressure is maintained for proper operation.
- Compare the gauge reading to the instruction manual. The water gauge, generally, should read between 50 psi to 100 psi in order to pass the FDNY 5 year standpipe test in Manhattan.
- Inspect all alarm devices for fresh batteries and ensure they are in good working condition.
- Check all fire department attachments to the system for signs of leaks or damage.
- Contact us or the New York City Fire department if signs of damage toward your sprinkler system in Manhattan are apparent.
- Open the inspector’s test valve slowly until water begins to drip out. Listen for the alarm bell from the system. When the alarm bell sounds, close the valve.
- Inspect the sprinkler heads for damage such as rust or bending.
- Pour water down the main drain to ensure that it’s not clogged.
- Turn off the water to the system and make sure it lives up to the FDNY’s 5 year test standards.
- Open and close all the valves to ensure they have the correct range of motion.
Remember that sprinkler check-ups aren’t the only things you should keep up with for the five year test. At Allstate Sprinkler Corp., we’re here to remind you that a fire-safety system in Manhattan has many parts that all need to be working at all times. After all, fire waits for no one. We are here to make your home or business in Manhattan as safe as possible in case of a fire.