5 Year Sprinkler Test; Protecting The Manhattan Area
Protecting your property in Manhattan during the case of a fire is one of the top priorities for both the FDNY and all property owners. The five year sprinkler test is just one way the FDNY can ensure that all standpipe and sprinkler systems stay up-to-date. Nothing can be as costly as even a small fire. Even just the smoke from a fire can cause damage to textiles and other goods; meanwhile a fire can cause the most terrible structural damage.
Having a fire sprinkler and standpipe system near your home in Manhattan is the best way to protect your property from the case of a fire. To ensure the sprinkler system is in top shape during any case of an emergency, it is necessary to have your sprinkler system checked regularly. At Allstate Sprinkler Corp, we would be more than happy toward assisting you in your efforts to comply with the FDNY five year test.
Here, we’ve provided this suggested guide for how often you’ll need to check your sprinkler system, and what you’ll need in order to check your sprinkler and standpipe system in order to be sure you’re ready for the five year test:
- Inspect the valves of the system once a month, making sure they’re in the open position, easily accessible; not blocked by any debris or locked
- Tighten any loose connections
- Check all pipes for signs of leaks or corrosion
- Check the air gauges and water gauges to ensure the correct pressure is maintained for proper operation
- Compare the gauge reading to the instruction manual. The water gauge, generally, should read between 50 psi to 100 psi in order to pass the FDNY five year test
- Inspect all alarm devices for fresh batteries and ensure they are in good working condition.
- Check all fire department attachments to the system for signs of leaks or damage. (This is especially important for the five year test).
- Contact Allstate Sprinkler Corp or the New York City Fire department if signs of damage toward your sprinkler system in Manhattan are apparent.
- Open the inspector’s test valve slowly until water begins to drip out. Listen for the alarm bell from the system, when the alarm bell sounds, close the valve.
- Inspect the sprinkler heads for damage such as rust or bending,
- Pour water down the main drain to ensure that it is not clogged
- Turn off the water to the system and make sure it lives up to the FDNY’s five year test standards
- Open and close all the valves to ensure they have the correct range of motion
Remember that sprinkler check-ups aren’t the only things you should keep up with for the five year test; at Allstate Sprinkler Corp, we’re here to remind you that a fire-safety system in Manhattan has many parts that all need to be working at all times—after all, fire waits for no man. If you have a standpipe in the building, a building employee must obtain a certificate of fitness for the standpipe.
Our management staff at Allstate Sprinkler Corp offers an unprecedented level of experience handling the preparation for the five year test as well as other sprinkler and standpipe needs. Allstate Sprinkler Corp. is a licensed Master Fire Suppression Contractor with the New York City building department. Providing our customers with cost-effective, professional and reliable service is our priority. We hope that you will contact us at 718-597-4060, and become a part of our family customer base!
Allstate Sprinklers Corp. are experts in commercial fire sprinkler system installation. If you have any questions pertaining to commercial fire sprinkler installation, residential fire sprinkler systems, fire system installations, fire system repairs, fire department sprinkler testing, 5 year standpipe test, sprinkler system inspection in NYC, Manhattan, Bronx NY, Brooklyn NY, Queens NY, or Long Island, contact Allstate Sprinklers Corp. at: (718) 597-4060.