Fire sprinklers protect lives and property. To ensure a proper design and effective operation, always work with a trained and competent fire sprinkler system installation contractor like Allstate Sprinklers. From time to time “do-it-yourself” articles or kits appear that encourage consumers to install their own automatic fire sprinkler systems. The American Fire Sprinkler Association “strongly discourages the installation of fire sprinkler systems by people who have not been trained in the proper installation of fire sprinklers. Fire sprinklers should always be installed in accordance with standards of the National Fire Protection Association using approved and/or listed materials.”
- Automatic fire sprinklers have been in use in the U.S. since 1874.
- Fire sprinklers are widely recognized as the single most effective method for fighting the spread of fires in their early stages – before they can cause severe injury to people and damage to property.
- When one fire sprinkler head goes off to fight a fire the entire sprinkler system does NOT activate. Sprinklers react to temperatures in individual rooms.
- The chances of a fire sprinkler accidentally going off are extremely remote.
- Installation of fire sprinklers can provide discounts on insurance premiums.
An efficient and effective fire sprinkler system uses as much as 90 percent less water than using fire hoses, too. Early intervention in a fire by an expertly installed fire sprinkler system also reduces the amount of damage, debris, and toxins produced in a fire by localizing the fire and its damage.
Fire sprinklers are “first responders” to a fire while it is still small, controlling the spread of deadly heat, flames and toxic smoke – whether or not the occupants have been able to respond to the signaling smoke alarm. Fire sprinklers provide a life-saving cushion of time to escape a fire.
Allstate Sprinkler Corporation is the most reliable, responsive and respected fire sprinkler contractors in Queens and throughout the New York City metropolitan area. Allstate Sprinklers is committed to assist you with all of your commercial and residential fire protection needs. Our services include:
- complete design-build abilities for installation
- alterations and repairs of fire sprinkler and fire standpipe systems
- NFPA 25 inspection and testing services
- Local Law 26 evaluation and compliance
- prompt correction of all FDNY violations
- 5-year hydrostatic pressure tests of sprinkler and standpipe connections
- emergency service and repairs
- fire pump installations, testing and repairs
- fire extinguisher sales and recharging; and all fire safety related products and equipment.
If you need emergency assistance, Allstate Sprinkler Corp is a 24-hou emergency fire suppression contractor in New York City. Contact us today at 718-597-4060.
A hydrostatic pressure test is an examination that affirms the good working condition of a fire protection system (sprinklers). The New York City Fire Code section 903.5 states that fire department sprinkler connections must be tested and witnessed by a fire department representative at least once every 5 years. The test can only be performed by a fire suppression contractor who has a Class A or B license issued by the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB).
What is a hydrostatic pressure test?
Five-year hydrostatic pressure tests are lifesaving procedures. These tests simulate fire department activities that take place during an actual fire. A hydrostatic pressure test basically is a confirmation that the tested sprinkler system will perform as designed and will function adequately for at least two hours under the highest water pressure that the system is likely to experience.
When freezing conditions prevail, the hydrostatic test may be postponed, provided a dry pressure test (using air or nitrogen) is performed in the interim. The dry test must be witnessed by a DOB inspector or special inspector, as does the hydrostatic test. If the hydrostatic test is deferred due to freezing temperatures, the hydrostatic test must be performed when freezing temperatures no longer exist.
FDNY Violations & Testing
Have you been served with a violation from the New York City Fire Department? Allstate Sprinkler Corp. will assist you with all the necessary paperwork, scheduling, testing and repairs in order to satisfy the conditions of these violations. Our management staff offers an unprecedented level of experience handling these violations. We have a continuous and close working relationship with the fire suppression unit of the New York City Fire Department. Allstate Sprinkler Corp. performs five-year hydrostatic pressure tests on a daily basis with fire department personnel. Our testing crews work on sprinkler and standpipe systems supplied by gravity tanks, pressure tanks or street-level city water supplies.
Call Allstate Sprinkler Corp. if your property is due for a NYC Fire Department hydrostatic pressure test. The best insurance you can buy to ensure a clean bill of health after a five-year inspection to have your sprinkler system inspected before the test. Allstate Sprinkler Corp. can inspect your system, repair any obvious issues, and make recommendations to improve or upgrade your system if it needs it.
A pre-test is a simulation of the fire department test without the fire department being present. This allows any necessary repairs to be made to your system to make sure it passes the test when the fire department is present. Allstate Sprinkler Corp. will go to your location to perform the pre-test and will report back with recommendations. Pending your approval, Allstate will make the necessary repairs to the system and re-test until the test is successful, significantly limiting your risk for test failure – saving you time, money and frustration from repeat tests and additional paperwork.
Sprinkler systems in major office buildings in New York City are complex, specialized, and they save lives. They’re also part of the New York City standard fire code. With all this to consider, Allstate Sprinkler Corp. is the go-to team in Manhattan for commercial and residential fire sprinkler installation, inspection, and repairs.
FDNY Violations & Testing
Has your commercial or residential building in Manhattan been served with a violation from the New York City Fire Department? Allstate Sprinkler Corp. will assist you with all the necessary paperwork, scheduling, testing and repairs to satisfy the conditions of these violations.
Our management staff offers an unprecedented level of experience handling these violations. We have a continuous and close working relationship with the New York City Fire Department and their fire suppression unit.
Common FDNY Violations
To avoid receiving a violation, you should schedule regular inspections for your fire sprinkler system. Some of the most common violations are:
- VC1- Fire Extinguishers
- VC5- Inspection Record Keeping
- VC6- Signs
- VC7- Color Coding
- VC12- General Maintenance (Spare Heads etc.)
- VC17- Certificate of Fitness
- VC20- 5-year testing
Allstate Sprinkler Corp can help with all your fire sprinkler testing and inspection needs.
Have you been issued a violation? Find out what to do when you receive an ECB violation.
Fire Sprinkler Testing
We perform 5-year hydrostatic pressure tests on a daily basis with New York City Fire Department personnel. Our testing crews work on sprinkler and standpipe systems supplied by gravity tanks, pressure tanks, or street-level city water supplies.
Five-year hydrostatic pressure tests are life-saving procedures. These tests simulate actual fire department events that take place during a fire. We perform these tests accurately and diligently to ensure that your sprinkler system will always be fire ready.
Fire Sprinkler Repairs
Allstate Sprinkler has an extensive repair division of skilled mechanics. New York City is always under repair. We have the experience to repair the smallest leak or the largest pipe break whether it is above or below ground. To keep your fire sprinkler systems in proper working order, Allstate Sprinkler Corp offers a variety of fire sprinkler repair services.
Fire Sprinkler Mechanical Repairs
To stay compliant with FDNY fire code and NYC building codes, you should repair any mechanical failures immediately. This may include repairing valves, sprinkler heads, standpipes, fire hydrants, water tanks, fire hoses, and fire pumps. Our repair division can help detect and repair the problem.
Fire Sprinkler Plumbing Repairs
Allstate Sprinklers can help repair frozen fire sprinklers or standpipe lines, ruptured fire sprinkler lines, leaky fire hydrants or fire house connections, rusted valves and sprinkler heads. Avoid FDNY violations; hire a licensed fire sprinkler contractor to repair your system in Manhattan.
Who We Are
Allstate approaches their business with values like:
- Respect: Listening to and appreciating another person's point of view
- Integrity: Keeping our promises
- Responsibility: Taking ownership for every decision
- Quality: Meeting or exceeding internal and external requirements
- Loyalty: Being faithful to the well-being of the people of our organization
For the past forty years, Allstate Sprinklers has operated with the work ethic of three generations of family, the expertise and dedication to protecting the buildings of New York City, and servicing our customers with outstanding knowledge and products.
Call us at (718) 597-4060
The fire sprinkler system heads we see above us in so many public spaces are there to keep us safe from a fire. We take for granted that these systems are life savers and not just building-code requirements. These fire suppression systems are sophisticated systems delivering a very basic service: water to extinguish a fire. And because these systems are not constantly active, but rather they lay in wait for the unexpected to strike, their maintenance and repair are critical functions during down time.
The Seven Types of Fire Sprinkler Systems
• Wet pipe systems—are the most commonly experienced fire suppression system in use today. Wet pipe systems supply pressurized water through pipes and to sprinkler heads installed throughout the building. When a fire is detected, the sprinkler heads in the affected areas activate and rain water down on the fire. Wet pipe systems are effective, reliable, and easy to maintain.
• Dry pipe systems—probably the second-most-common type of fire suppression system in use today. These systems do not hold water within the pipes, which could burst if they ever froze. A positive air pressure is maintained in the pipe to keep closed a check valve to prevent water intrusion from other sources, like other pipes. Dry pipe systems are most often used in facilities that go unheated during cold winter weather (like parking garages). When a fire is detected, a valve releases the air pressure within the system, and that allows water to flow freely to extinguish the fire
• Deluge systems—a fire suppression system where all the sprinkler heads that are connected to the water deliver pipes “open” (i.e., not individually activated). No water is present in the pipes on a constant basis, like a dry pipe system. When a separate fire detection system detects a fire, it sends a signal to open a valve and lets water freely on the fire.
• Pre-action systems—are specially activated systems used in such facilities as museums and libraries. Pre-action systems combine the features wet, dry, and deluge systems to protect valuable installations from accidental or indiscriminate fire suppression methods.
• Foam water sprinkler systems—uses a mixture of foam and water through special nozzles to encapsulate a burning transformer, fuel tank, or vehicle.
• Water spray—similar to foam water sprinkler systems, but spraying only water.
• Water mist systems—sprays tiny droplets of water into the atmosphere where a fire is present. The effect is to cool the atmosphere and reduce heat damage from the fire.
Allstate Sprinkler has an extensive repair team of skilled mechanics that are experienced in above- and below-ground system repairs. Fire sprinkler systems plumbing repairs like freeze-ups, ruptures, leaks, or rusted valves and sprinkler heads are just some of the repairs Allstate Sprinkler can fix. Allstate Sprinkler is expert in mechanical repairs to valves, sprinkler heads, standpipes and hydrants, water tanks and pumps. Allstate Sprinklers are the experienced experts in Queens for fire sprinkler system inspection, repair, and maintenance.